Skip to main content

Another day - another qualification



So Tuesday was a very interesting and exciting day. 

I went to London to train and gain! 

With a colleague of mine, we went together to get our circle dance in  dementia training. 
We both already work with dementia participants in the care homes we go to for dance classes so we know most of the benefits this has on people. 

For those of you who don't know what circle dance in dementia is. Here is a link to look at:

http://dementiapathfinders.org/circle-dance-in-dementia.html

It was such a fantastic day. There was a huge variety of people there, from dancers, to care workers to administrators and people from the alzheimer's society too! We really bonded well as a group. So much so, that we now have a facebook page to share our experiences/ ideas etc so we can all keep in contact. 

Circle dance is highly beneficial to those with dementia, and it is also a class which can be altered and developed depending on who you have come to your classes. This is my opinion is a huge factor when teaching, as you need to be able to keep everybody interested, despite the fact that they may need extra needs/help they should all be there enjoying themselves. 

I came back from the day not only exhausted by all the information I had gained, but also feeling great! Ready to take on any new task that came to me. I  cannot wait to start delivering these classes and hope to see the huge benefit from the participants that it can give. 

Comments

  1. Thanks Georgie sounds like a good day. Summon has more for you:

    Embodiment and dementia – Dance movement psychotherapists respond
    by Coaten, Richard; Newman-Bluestein, Donna
    Dementia, 11/2013, Volume 12, Issue 6
    ... on embodiment and dementia. By concentrating energy on various aspects of embodiment, a ‘fire’ is started in a metaphorical sense. Interest and energy intensify, drawing...
    Journal Article:
    Full Text Online
    Preview
    Article has an altmetric score of 15
    2
    online
    Dance for Individuals With Dementia
    by Jennifer L. Lapum; Rachel J. Bar
    Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 03/2016, Volume 54, Issue 3
    .... In the current article, the authors share narrative reflections about their experiences with, and the potential of, dance as an intervention for aging populations diagnosed with dementia-related diseases...
    Journal Article:
    Full Text Online
    Preview
    Article has an altmetric score of 8
    3
    online
    Cover Image
    IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF LIFE AND COGNITION IN PERSONS WITH DEMENTIA THROUGH CREATIVE DANCE...
    by Tay, Sze Yan; Gabriel, Christopher; Seng Ting, Simon Kang; More...
    Alzheimer's & Dementia, 07/2014, Volume 10, Issue 4
    Journal Article:
    Full Text Online
    Preview
    4
    online
    Cover Image
    Dancing as a psychosocial intervention in care homes: a systematic review of the literature: Dance research in demen...
    by Guzmán-García, A; Hughes, J. C; James, I. A; More...
    International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 09/2013, Volume 28, Issue 9
    Journal Article:
    Full Text Online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task 1C: Audio Visual

Onto the next task!  When I first read that we had to create an Audio Visual and upload it onto youtube, my initial thought was dread! I am not really one for videos or even pictures for that matter! But I have committed myself to this course and ALL of the challenges it throws my way. So I began... I started doing a little research and having a look at what people have done in the past for this task. I noticed that there was quite a variety in the way people have done this task, and one of the things I first noticed was that, I didn't have to be in the video! I liked the idea of using pictures and even some people used power point to do their audio visuals.  Taking some of these ideas on, I decided the first thing I need to do is write a short script of what I am going to say, easy right?  Wrong! I think I changed my mind at least 10 times! In honesty I lost count of how many pieces of paper I had scribbled all over. But finally my script was done.  I then...

Skype Chat - Last Week

After a frustrating week of being unable to access my blogspot (amongst other things) I am now back!  So last week, I had a Module 3 skype chat with Helen, Gonzalo, Hannah, Alisha and Eleanor. This was very helpful, as we got to talk with one another and see where we were and where we were heading.  I'll be honest, it was quite quiet at times, as I find it's hard to have a conversation with people you can't actually see! But with Helens help and a little probing, once we got onto a conversation, it really started to flow.  It was very useful hearing about others techniques when it comes to their tools for the inquiry. I think most, if not all of us are doing interviews, and with the fact that I have recently had to edit my inquiry's purpose (for the better) it was great to hear how others have been doing!  A lot of their points I have written down, including the most important point which is not to ask them a closed question. With my inquiry I want and...

Summertime... I just sit back and un...Do lots of research!

So as I haven't posted since handing in my final Module 2 bits and bobs, I thought it was about time I updated you guys as to what I've been doing on here.  Firstly, as i had a pretty hectic year I decided to give myself a break for a couple of  weeks. Just to relax and set my brain back to 0 once more.  More recently I have been reading and writing lots and lots of notes down ready for the next and final module. I am currently going through a few different books based on community dance, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be fab! I have spoken to a few of my colleagues as well and they are all rummaging through their book shelves for me too which is lovely!  I am thoroughly enjoying this and learning so many new things ready for me to put into practice when September starts and the new terms begin.  I'll keep you updated with ideas and my tryouts to see what works and what doesn't (hoping they all do!) Anyways tha...