Skip to main content

Change is good...

So I have recently received my feedback from Adesola, and it was extremely helpful so I wanted to have a short discussion with her about where I went from there. So tonight I had a skype chat with her and here are my thoughts after....

My aims and objectives have changed quite dramatically now. One of my first aims was to try and create a simple definition of ‘’what is community dance?’’ After speaking with Adesola, colleagues and looking at several pieces of literature, I have found that this would completely defeat the object of community dance itself. It cannot be specified into one short definition as it is an extremely vast subject. It is not a technique within dance, but an approach instead. Many practitioners will all have different opinions on what is community dance, and they are all right. What I have discovered so far is that there isn’t really a ‘wrong’ answer. Community dance is about empowering and creating opportunities within the dance world, using the community the practitioners have decided to focus on. Whether that be all female, young people perhaps, or the elderly? It is about involvement and individuality of the group and the participants themselves. 

My next aim was to look specifically at community dance within my area, which is Kent. However in doing so, this really limited me as to what I could learn. Community dance has been ongoing for years, all over the world and I want to look at and learn as much as I can throughout this inquiry. Although, so I don’t get too carried away with myself I will be looking at western culture in community dance, as this is more along the lines of where I will be working and the kind of approach i will be using within my practice. This has really opened my inquiry up to see how I can really develop my practice by finding so many different influences from different practitioners and communities themselves.

As a whole I feel so much better about my inquiry now. I feel I have already learnt a lot within my inquiry so far. I was starting to feel quite 'stuck' with my inquiry as I kept hitting some dead ends. But now I have made these useful changes, I cannot wait to keep going with my inquiry and I feel refreshed now.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skype Chat - Last Week

After a frustrating week of being unable to access my blogspot (amongst other things) I am now back!  So last week, I had a Module 3 skype chat with Helen, Gonzalo, Hannah, Alisha and Eleanor. This was very helpful, as we got to talk with one another and see where we were and where we were heading.  I'll be honest, it was quite quiet at times, as I find it's hard to have a conversation with people you can't actually see! But with Helens help and a little probing, once we got onto a conversation, it really started to flow.  It was very useful hearing about others techniques when it comes to their tools for the inquiry. I think most, if not all of us are doing interviews, and with the fact that I have recently had to edit my inquiry's purpose (for the better) it was great to hear how others have been doing!  A lot of their points I have written down, including the most important point which is not to ask them a closed question. With my inquiry I want and...

Task 1C: Audio Visual

Onto the next task!  When I first read that we had to create an Audio Visual and upload it onto youtube, my initial thought was dread! I am not really one for videos or even pictures for that matter! But I have committed myself to this course and ALL of the challenges it throws my way. So I began... I started doing a little research and having a look at what people have done in the past for this task. I noticed that there was quite a variety in the way people have done this task, and one of the things I first noticed was that, I didn't have to be in the video! I liked the idea of using pictures and even some people used power point to do their audio visuals.  Taking some of these ideas on, I decided the first thing I need to do is write a short script of what I am going to say, easy right?  Wrong! I think I changed my mind at least 10 times! In honesty I lost count of how many pieces of paper I had scribbled all over. But finally my script was done.  I then...

Task 3c: Sources Of Information

The next task is focused on where we get our information from. As I have been looking through others blogs I have noticed that everyone uses a variety of sources to find the information they need. In this blog I will be telling you my sources of information and how helpful I find them to help me progress in my career.  When I first looked up sources of information I found that most can be put into 3 categories: Primary Information Secondary Information Tertiary Information These are quite self explanitory but I will break them down for you. A Primary source is firsthand information about an event, for example our journals that we have all been writing. They are sources which have not been edited by a second party yet. Therefore a Secondary source is an analysation of a primary source, these include reviews, text books and even most of our blogs would be a secondary source as we analyse various pieces of information. Tertiary sources are often used to gain fact...