Skip to main content

A Bit Backwards - Task 4D

As mentioned previously I have been looking through a variety of literature, as my subject of enquiry is so large I have struggled to whittle it down to 3. But now I finally have! 

My first piece of literature is an article from Princeton university (Center for Arts and Cultural Policy Studies) titles 'How the arts impact communities' by Joshua Guetzkow June 2002.

The piece of literature is targeting the fact that previous literature involving the art and communities is too vague. For example what is actually meant by 'The Arts' and/or 'Community'. It lays out the issues that need to be looked at more thoroughly, looking at studying this kind of work as well as showing the impact literature has on the arts. This piece of literature has really helped me to look for more useful pieces of literature. Also looking through theoretical and methodical issues. It has thorough explanations of 'The arts' and 'Communities' and what they could potentially refer to when looking at different pieces of literature. This piece also provides a good argument against what previous literature has lacked, giving me a good counter argument to which I can compare in my inquiry. 

My second piece of literature is another article from The European Journal of Social & Behavioural Sciences: 'Teaching dance in the 21st century: A literature review' by Anu soot and ele viskus, 2014 (this is an extract).

This article looks at the way teaching has progressed over the years in dance. Showing the development of 'the teacher teaches the class' to what we now do a lot more of, teaching them to inspire them for their own ideas and development. This article looks at a variety of themes such as the holistic approach to somatic dance to other art forms. Looking through these different themes, it really explains the progress of dance through the years and shares the benefits of the changes in dance throughout the years. Perfect for my inquiry. 

My last piece of Literature is the book 'An introduction to Community Dance Practice' Edited by Diane Amans, 2008.

This book was recommended to my by a colleague. I had read such great reviews I decided to purchase it. I have only had the time to skim read it at the moment and I can tell this is going to be a great piece of thorough literature for my inquiry. Starting off with the full explanations and interpretations of community dance then leading into the history of it. As my inquiry is about the changes of community dance through the years this part is going to help me a lot. It also takes you through the issues involved with community dance, but also how it has helped a variety of people and ages. It has so many references to different companies and literature to which I can then use as more of a focus. I cannot wait to read through it thoroughly and gain a lot of helpful research from it. 

Any thoughts please feel free to comment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skype Chat - Last Week

After a frustrating week of being unable to access my blogspot (amongst other things) I am now back!  So last week, I had a Module 3 skype chat with Helen, Gonzalo, Hannah, Alisha and Eleanor. This was very helpful, as we got to talk with one another and see where we were and where we were heading.  I'll be honest, it was quite quiet at times, as I find it's hard to have a conversation with people you can't actually see! But with Helens help and a little probing, once we got onto a conversation, it really started to flow.  It was very useful hearing about others techniques when it comes to their tools for the inquiry. I think most, if not all of us are doing interviews, and with the fact that I have recently had to edit my inquiry's purpose (for the better) it was great to hear how others have been doing!  A lot of their points I have written down, including the most important point which is not to ask them a closed question. With my inquiry I want and...

Task 1C: Audio Visual

Onto the next task!  When I first read that we had to create an Audio Visual and upload it onto youtube, my initial thought was dread! I am not really one for videos or even pictures for that matter! But I have committed myself to this course and ALL of the challenges it throws my way. So I began... I started doing a little research and having a look at what people have done in the past for this task. I noticed that there was quite a variety in the way people have done this task, and one of the things I first noticed was that, I didn't have to be in the video! I liked the idea of using pictures and even some people used power point to do their audio visuals.  Taking some of these ideas on, I decided the first thing I need to do is write a short script of what I am going to say, easy right?  Wrong! I think I changed my mind at least 10 times! In honesty I lost count of how many pieces of paper I had scribbled all over. But finally my script was done.  I then...

Summertime... I just sit back and un...Do lots of research!

So as I haven't posted since handing in my final Module 2 bits and bobs, I thought it was about time I updated you guys as to what I've been doing on here.  Firstly, as i had a pretty hectic year I decided to give myself a break for a couple of  weeks. Just to relax and set my brain back to 0 once more.  More recently I have been reading and writing lots and lots of notes down ready for the next and final module. I am currently going through a few different books based on community dance, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be fab! I have spoken to a few of my colleagues as well and they are all rummaging through their book shelves for me too which is lovely!  I am thoroughly enjoying this and learning so many new things ready for me to put into practice when September starts and the new terms begin.  I'll keep you updated with ideas and my tryouts to see what works and what doesn't (hoping they all do!) Anyways tha...