Skip to main content

A Bit Backwards - Task 4D

As mentioned previously I have been looking through a variety of literature, as my subject of enquiry is so large I have struggled to whittle it down to 3. But now I finally have! 

My first piece of literature is an article from Princeton university (Center for Arts and Cultural Policy Studies) titles 'How the arts impact communities' by Joshua Guetzkow June 2002.

The piece of literature is targeting the fact that previous literature involving the art and communities is too vague. For example what is actually meant by 'The Arts' and/or 'Community'. It lays out the issues that need to be looked at more thoroughly, looking at studying this kind of work as well as showing the impact literature has on the arts. This piece of literature has really helped me to look for more useful pieces of literature. Also looking through theoretical and methodical issues. It has thorough explanations of 'The arts' and 'Communities' and what they could potentially refer to when looking at different pieces of literature. This piece also provides a good argument against what previous literature has lacked, giving me a good counter argument to which I can compare in my inquiry. 

My second piece of literature is another article from The European Journal of Social & Behavioural Sciences: 'Teaching dance in the 21st century: A literature review' by Anu soot and ele viskus, 2014 (this is an extract).

This article looks at the way teaching has progressed over the years in dance. Showing the development of 'the teacher teaches the class' to what we now do a lot more of, teaching them to inspire them for their own ideas and development. This article looks at a variety of themes such as the holistic approach to somatic dance to other art forms. Looking through these different themes, it really explains the progress of dance through the years and shares the benefits of the changes in dance throughout the years. Perfect for my inquiry. 

My last piece of Literature is the book 'An introduction to Community Dance Practice' Edited by Diane Amans, 2008.

This book was recommended to my by a colleague. I had read such great reviews I decided to purchase it. I have only had the time to skim read it at the moment and I can tell this is going to be a great piece of thorough literature for my inquiry. Starting off with the full explanations and interpretations of community dance then leading into the history of it. As my inquiry is about the changes of community dance through the years this part is going to help me a lot. It also takes you through the issues involved with community dance, but also how it has helped a variety of people and ages. It has so many references to different companies and literature to which I can then use as more of a focus. I cannot wait to read through it thoroughly and gain a lot of helpful research from it. 

Any thoughts please feel free to comment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helpful Things...

Hello again, Aren't you lucky, my 3rd blog in a few days!  Well, this is a quick simple one for those of you on the BAPP arts course (also for those who aren't!) but I have found a few helpful things that I thought I would share with you all.  The first,we have reached part 2 of our course which as you will know is all about reflective writing. We have all been asked to keep a journal. However if you are anything like me, life can seem to get very busy so finding the time to write in your journal can be a bit difficult. Especially as I have to carry a lot around with me most of the time so adding an extra book equals even more weight! Therefore I have found a easy, free online site which you can keep journals on, and there is even an app for your phone. I am using this for my 'on-the-go' journal as it is quick and easy and then writing up my proper journal of an evening to make sure I don't miss anything!  The site/app is called Penzu, the link is here: http

Another day - another qualification

So Tuesday was a very interesting and exciting day.  I went to London to train and gain!  With a colleague of mine, we went together to get our circle dance in  dementia training.  We both already work with dementia participants in the care homes we go to for dance classes so we know most of the benefits this has on people.  For those of you who don't know what circle dance in dementia is. Here is a link to look at: http://dementiapathfinders.org/circle-dance-in-dementia.html It was such a fantastic day. There was a huge variety of people there, from dancers, to care workers to administrators and people from the alzheimer's society too! We really bonded well as a group. So much so, that we now have a facebook page to share our experiences/ ideas etc so we can all keep in contact.  Circle dance is highly beneficial to those with dementia, and it is also a class which can be altered and developed depending on who you have come to your classes. This is my opinion

Good News!

This is just a quick blog... So today I had a meeting with one of the companies I work for. It was really good, full of so much information and was lovely to see the team altogether as we don't get to do this often. One of my colleagues did a short presentation on 'Phonics' which was fantastic and has lead me to so many new ideas!  But that is not the best of it. Each year they select 4 members of staff to win teacher of the year, and I was one of them! I am so thrilled to be nominated! I nearly cried! It just goes to show, that the harder you work the more you get rewarded. I'm not sure if I'll win as I'm up against some great contenders, but just to be nominated makes me feel so proud!  So that's my good news of today!  Chow Chow