Skip to main content

Ethics in the workplace - 5a


For this task we were asked to look at the ethics in our workplace. As I work for a variety of companies with people of all ages/capabilities/shapes/sizes there are quite a lot of ethics in the workplace that I need to consider. 

To start of with, I needed to make sure I have the right qualifications to do my job as a freelance dance artist. Such as a DBS check, safeguarding for children and vulnerable adults, insurance and also first aid. Then on top of that the correct training for the specific roles I take on, for example to be a TAPfit instructor I needed to go on a training day to gain the qualification to run these classes. 

So with the correct certificates I can now be a freelance dance artist. 

As I travel from place to place within a variety of settings I can never guarantee what the area of teaching will be like until I get there. So the first thing to think of is preparation and safety. Insuring I arrive at least 15 minutes before each class allows me time to look at the space and move things around if I believe it is not safe.

As well as this, each company I work for has a different set of codes that you are to work from. These codes include things like permission to take photos/videos etc. No matter the age, at least a verbal consent is needed, however for children and older adults written consent either by themselves or a parent/carer is also required. 

Also with my teaching I encounter a lot of different people from various backgrounds. So i need to be fully aware of this and take into consideration anything that may offend a belief/culture so the easiest way is to make sure I have the correct music/movements and props that will ensure I do not offend any of the participants. 

The main thing I find is to always be fully prepared and have everything that you need with you always such as codes of conduct/dbs check etc. And you must always have a fair few back up plans, as you may need to make quite a few drastic changes. 

That's about as much as I can think of off of the top of my head, but I will be looking further into this, and looking at my work places codes of conduct for more examples. This will be coming quite shortly.

Any other views/ideas would be much appreciated so please feel free to comment below! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helpful Things...

Hello again, Aren't you lucky, my 3rd blog in a few days!  Well, this is a quick simple one for those of you on the BAPP arts course (also for those who aren't!) but I have found a few helpful things that I thought I would share with you all.  The first,we have reached part 2 of our course which as you will know is all about reflective writing. We have all been asked to keep a journal. However if you are anything like me, life can seem to get very busy so finding the time to write in your journal can be a bit difficult. Especially as I have to carry a lot around with me most of the time so adding an extra book equals even more weight! Therefore I have found a easy, free online site which you can keep journals on, and there is even an app for your phone. I am using this for my 'on-the-go' journal as it is quick and easy and then writing up my proper journal of an evening to make sure I don't miss anything!  The site/app is called Penzu, the link is here: http

Another day - another qualification

So Tuesday was a very interesting and exciting day.  I went to London to train and gain!  With a colleague of mine, we went together to get our circle dance in  dementia training.  We both already work with dementia participants in the care homes we go to for dance classes so we know most of the benefits this has on people.  For those of you who don't know what circle dance in dementia is. Here is a link to look at: http://dementiapathfinders.org/circle-dance-in-dementia.html It was such a fantastic day. There was a huge variety of people there, from dancers, to care workers to administrators and people from the alzheimer's society too! We really bonded well as a group. So much so, that we now have a facebook page to share our experiences/ ideas etc so we can all keep in contact.  Circle dance is highly beneficial to those with dementia, and it is also a class which can be altered and developed depending on who you have come to your classes. This is my opinion

Campus Session October 2017

I went along to my first campus session since I've been on the BAPP Arts course the other week.  I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and I found it extremely helpful! I did much prefer the face to face interaction, it made it a lot easier to progress through conversation and having everyones input and ideas made it a lot easier for me to understand where I need to head with my inquiry.  Although I was the only Module 3 there, I found that listening to the other modules really opened my eyes. I admit I had just left the past 2 modules 'on the side' and after the session I realised that I needed to go back through, see what I have already done and create more links from there.  The modules aren't just 1, 2 and 3. They are all linked and this is something really important that I realised when having everyone there. So thank you all for that!   We also talked about the HUGE subject that is, ethics. It's a concept that I know I understand but I have always found i