Skip to main content

Ethics - Task 5B

After my previous blog, we were asked to look at the ethics of your workplace and see the examples they have used.

I firstly looked online, to see examples and ideas of other workplaces ethics. 

First I came across People Dancing - Foundation of community dance, which is also the place where I get my insurance from so it was useful to see all of the other things they offer on their website including their code of conduct. This is a perfect example for me to follow, as it is based around community dance, which is currently my profession. 

What is a code of conduct?
Codes of conduct are a set of 'rules'/ expectations that are agreed within the company you work for. All companies need this to mainly ensure safety of the employee and the participants/ general public. 

People dancing have looked at several sections as part of their code of conduct, these include:

  • Professional competence.
  • Responsibility.
  • Safety.
  • Working with people.
  • Commitment to the code of conduct. 
Below is a link to the website, which explains them more in detail.

Alongside this I also looked at IDTAs code of conduct (international dance teachers association.)
They have broken their code of conduct into these sections:
  • Professional etiquette
  • Fundamental Principles
  • Integrity
  • Objectivity
  • Competency
  • Due skill and diligence
  • Courtesy and consideration
  • Confidentiality
  • Publicity
  • Teacher Names
  • Statutory Requirements
  • Health and Safety
  • Data Protection (including the 8 principles of the data protection act.)
  • Summary
Again you can see the website here for more details:

As you can see, the two codes of conduct have some similarities but also differ, mainly in the way they are presented and written. They both cover the main subjects that are needed in a code of conduct. However IDTA is more specific to the teaching/teachers. Each company will give their own set of rules, which before becoming an employer you will have to agree to and sign. Even though you have done this, if you do not keep to the code of conduct, the responsibility ultimately is yours and not the company's. 

After looking at both of these, I decided to look at my own place of work and what their codes of conduct are there. They have been broken down into different documents so we have:
  • Safeguarding Policies
  • Equity and Diversity Policies
  • Health and Safety Policies
  • Summarised in the Code of conduct. 
With the company making different extended policies in specific genres, it not only makes it easier to read and understand. But it also makes them accessible, instead of flicking through a long document you can easily pick out the conduct which you may need at a specific time. 

After looking through and comparing these and writing down my thoughts it has really opened up my mind and help me think through how I would write my codes of conduct if I ever need it. It has also made me aware that I need to make sure I have read through any company policies if they have them before I start work, even if it is just for a small amount of time.

Any thoughts on this are more than welcome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helpful Things...

Hello again, Aren't you lucky, my 3rd blog in a few days!  Well, this is a quick simple one for those of you on the BAPP arts course (also for those who aren't!) but I have found a few helpful things that I thought I would share with you all.  The first,we have reached part 2 of our course which as you will know is all about reflective writing. We have all been asked to keep a journal. However if you are anything like me, life can seem to get very busy so finding the time to write in your journal can be a bit difficult. Especially as I have to carry a lot around with me most of the time so adding an extra book equals even more weight! Therefore I have found a easy, free online site which you can keep journals on, and there is even an app for your phone. I am using this for my 'on-the-go' journal as it is quick and easy and then writing up my proper journal of an evening to make sure I don't miss anything!  The site/app is called Penzu, the link is here: http

Another day - another qualification

So Tuesday was a very interesting and exciting day.  I went to London to train and gain!  With a colleague of mine, we went together to get our circle dance in  dementia training.  We both already work with dementia participants in the care homes we go to for dance classes so we know most of the benefits this has on people.  For those of you who don't know what circle dance in dementia is. Here is a link to look at: http://dementiapathfinders.org/circle-dance-in-dementia.html It was such a fantastic day. There was a huge variety of people there, from dancers, to care workers to administrators and people from the alzheimer's society too! We really bonded well as a group. So much so, that we now have a facebook page to share our experiences/ ideas etc so we can all keep in contact.  Circle dance is highly beneficial to those with dementia, and it is also a class which can be altered and developed depending on who you have come to your classes. This is my opinion

Campus Session October 2017

I went along to my first campus session since I've been on the BAPP Arts course the other week.  I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and I found it extremely helpful! I did much prefer the face to face interaction, it made it a lot easier to progress through conversation and having everyones input and ideas made it a lot easier for me to understand where I need to head with my inquiry.  Although I was the only Module 3 there, I found that listening to the other modules really opened my eyes. I admit I had just left the past 2 modules 'on the side' and after the session I realised that I needed to go back through, see what I have already done and create more links from there.  The modules aren't just 1, 2 and 3. They are all linked and this is something really important that I realised when having everyone there. So thank you all for that!   We also talked about the HUGE subject that is, ethics. It's a concept that I know I understand but I have always found i