Skip to main content

Summary of Reader 6 - Task 6A

The end of Module 2 is slowly creeping up! Now I am on the final tasks. The first task for section 6, was to read and review Reader 6. This reader is based on tools of professional inquiry. The idea is to experiment with these different tools and from there design our own practitioner research. I already had a few ideas of what methods I would use for my inquiry, but I was very interested to look at and see the other tools I could use, and to see if the ones I had previously thought of, would actually benefit my inquiry. 

Designing Practitioner Inquiry:
The inquiry involves capturing evidence using specific tools which will benefit you most in your inquiry. It's aim is to be a process of self discovery as well as a piece of literature to use to educate others in your chosen inquiry. The data you collect should be used to inform your professional practice. There are 4 main tools which are used usually (explained in more context below). Involving both qualitative and quantitative approaches. The reader explains that we are advised to look at the overall complete process early on for our inquiry. Regarding the tools there are 2 main approaches you can take:

  • Purposive: choosing the correct people to answer specific questions.
  • Representative: Choosing a sample of the population. 
With my research I believe it would be best to take a purposive approach, asking specific people from my practice questions to gain more specific answers.

Tools for professional inquiry.
Observations:
Observations are used to record events, these can be structured or using a relatively open approach. As the observer you can be a participant or you can be a 'disinterested observer'. Both of which I believe are good uses of observation as you can see a lot more from a distance however actually getting involved allows you to emotionally connect. You should include non-verbal observations such as body language (kinesics). With observations pre planning is essential as you need to be focused on what you are inquiring about, although there maybe different aspects you see which you were not expecting. As you maybe observing a class, or a group of people you need to make sure you have the correct permission, not only from the gatekeeper but all involved and be sensitive and appropriate. I had thought about using observations within my inquiry, and after reading through the reader and gaining more information I believe it would be an asset to my Inquiry. However focusing solely on the 'teachers' not the participants as in my line of work as a community dance teacher there could be a lot of vulnerable people there.

Interviews:
These is mainly a qualitative method using what people have said to use as evidence. Again with interviews you could have a strict and structured approach, or be quite. Within the interview you can follow up on the participants ideas and responses. Several ways to conduct an interview includes; face to face, telephone, individuals and groups. If you successfully interview someone it can uncover unexpected data as well as you needing to be able to adapt very quickly to this. Interviews always need to be transcribed into written findings. When interviewing you can either take notes or tape the interview to look back and transcribe once you have finished the interview. In my opinion it is best to do a bit of both. Especially in face to face situations as you can then focus more on them actually talking to you rather than constantly writing. This again is the other method I had previously thought of using, as I have a lot of connections in my field of work which would be more than happy to be interviewed. As they come from a variety of backgrounds within community dance it will hopefully give me a wider aspect of community dance. 

Focus groups:
Focus groups can be similar to group interviews but as explained in Reader 6, it requires different dynamics. Focus groups work better with groups of the same characteristics, experience etc. Also with focus groups people maybe more inclined to open up and with this each other could instigate new ideas for another person to add on to. However they can be quite hard to manage, so a seating plan could help with this. Creating the right set up is key to a focus group. You will need to be able to take control of the focus group and channel discussions to the right context as well as good time keeping skills. 

Surveys/Questionnaires:
These are more for asking the general public. If you want to ask a range/ large numbers of people with different experiences/backgrounds then surveys are ideal. They also need to be anonymous which will make people more inclined to do them. You can specify what kind of people you give you survey to, for example teachers of dance. You will need to make sure you questions are previously written out as well as making sure they will provide you with the correct data that you need. You can simplify the survey by asking 'yes/no' questions or give them a set of options to choose from. It is essential that you code your questionnaires correctly to ensure you get the correct data that you need from them. 

Reviewing documents:
When looking at documents for your research you need to be aware if they are pieces of literature or written first-hand which could potentially be confidential. There is such a  variety of documents you can look for now ranging from library documents to organisations and even journals and diaries. 
Journals and Diaries:
These are good as they really let you see the writers perceptions. They are also used to collect information on critical incidents which may have occurred. They can also be a really good tool for observations but only if you commit to it. Writing in your journal/diary every so often will not give you substantial evidence for your inquiry.

Analysing data:
When first reading this section one thing really stuck out to me:
"Documents, what ever their nature, cannot ever be taken at face value" (Reader 6, 2016-2017.)
I found this point to be a real eye opener with regards to my literature I have already chosen. I am going to look back over the literature I have already and use this approach to see if it gives me a different perspective (perhaps challenging) of the documents. This will also help me with my final inquiry by being able to compare and develop my ideas for my inquiry and my practice. 

Summary:
The summary of reader 6 provides you with you next step, putting it all together. Creating the thorough proposal plan for your inquiry. Including setting the scene for your project, what you do professionally and relate it to your own experiences. 

After reading through reader 6 it has definitely helped me a lot and I am more confident with my proposal and inquiry now. Bring it on! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helpful Things...

Hello again, Aren't you lucky, my 3rd blog in a few days!  Well, this is a quick simple one for those of you on the BAPP arts course (also for those who aren't!) but I have found a few helpful things that I thought I would share with you all.  The first,we have reached part 2 of our course which as you will know is all about reflective writing. We have all been asked to keep a journal. However if you are anything like me, life can seem to get very busy so finding the time to write in your journal can be a bit difficult. Especially as I have to carry a lot around with me most of the time so adding an extra book equals even more weight! Therefore I have found a easy, free online site which you can keep journals on, and there is even an app for your phone. I am using this for my 'on-the-go' journal as it is quick and easy and then writing up my proper journal of an evening to make sure I don't miss anything!  The site/app is called Penzu, the link is here: http

Another day - another qualification

So Tuesday was a very interesting and exciting day.  I went to London to train and gain!  With a colleague of mine, we went together to get our circle dance in  dementia training.  We both already work with dementia participants in the care homes we go to for dance classes so we know most of the benefits this has on people.  For those of you who don't know what circle dance in dementia is. Here is a link to look at: http://dementiapathfinders.org/circle-dance-in-dementia.html It was such a fantastic day. There was a huge variety of people there, from dancers, to care workers to administrators and people from the alzheimer's society too! We really bonded well as a group. So much so, that we now have a facebook page to share our experiences/ ideas etc so we can all keep in contact.  Circle dance is highly beneficial to those with dementia, and it is also a class which can be altered and developed depending on who you have come to your classes. This is my opinion

Campus Session October 2017

I went along to my first campus session since I've been on the BAPP Arts course the other week.  I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and I found it extremely helpful! I did much prefer the face to face interaction, it made it a lot easier to progress through conversation and having everyones input and ideas made it a lot easier for me to understand where I need to head with my inquiry.  Although I was the only Module 3 there, I found that listening to the other modules really opened my eyes. I admit I had just left the past 2 modules 'on the side' and after the session I realised that I needed to go back through, see what I have already done and create more links from there.  The modules aren't just 1, 2 and 3. They are all linked and this is something really important that I realised when having everyone there. So thank you all for that!   We also talked about the HUGE subject that is, ethics. It's a concept that I know I understand but I have always found i